SleepAngel, the Pillow with a Filter is now available in Bed, Bath and Beyond in the U.S.A. and can assist in your efforts to dust mite proof your home.
Dust mites may be the most common cause of year-round allergy and asthma. According to
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, about 20 million Americans have a dust mite allergy. It may not be possible to rid your home entirely of these creatures, but there are ways in which you can lessen your allergic reactions to them.
Dust Mites are tiny creatures that feed on the skin that humans shed. It’s actually the droppings and residue from the dust mites, rather than the mites themselves, that cause allergies.
The Bedroom is a particular hot-spot for dust mites. Studies show that more dust mites live in the bedroom than anywhere else in the home. This is due to the perfect living conditions for them to live in, especially in bedding. Dust mites thrive in warm, humid spaces, which means that Summer time is the worst time for allergy sufferers due to the rise in temperatures.
The Mayo Clinic recommends the following easy steps to help relieve the amount of dust mites sharing your bedding space
1) Encase pillows, mattresses and box springs in dust-mite-proof covers.
2) Wash sheets, pillowcases and blankets at least once a week in water heated to at least 130 F (54 C).
3) Remove, wash or cover comforters.
4) Replace wool or feathered bedding with synthetic materials.
However, SleepAngel keeps the dust mites out of your pillows
- Our patented PneumaPure Filter Technology blocks out the ingress of any viruses, mold and bacteria into your bedroom pillows, while allowing air to both flow in and out of the product and our clever filter allows the pillow to breathe normally.
- Also, as SleepAngel products are hermetically sealed, dust-mites and other allergens cannot contaminate the interior of the product. With regular pillows and pillow cases, it is actually through the stitched seams and zips of protectors that most of the allergens will enter into the pillows. Using a SleepAngel pillow is clinically proven to stop this from happening.
- The PureShield fabric that is used on SleepAngel products also ensures the SleepAngel pillow stays cool, even when you are sleeping on it
- Finally, SleepAngel does not need to be laundered! It can be cleaned by simply using a damp cloth. We recommend wiping clean whenever you change the bedroom sheets or at least once every two weeks (whichever is more frequent). This is terrific news as constantly washing regular pillows means that the products lose their shape and fill and become less comfortable for the user.
Other recommendations to help in dust mite proofing your home include….
• Avoid having wall-to-wall carpet covering (if you prefer carpets, low pile is preferable to high pile and they should be vacuumed at least once a week by someone who doesn’t have an allergy to dust-mites – vacuuming actually increases air-borne dust mites for about 30 minutes)
• Keep pets and animals out of the bedroom, especially if the floor is carpeted as carpets will trap animal hair and dander which can also be triggers to one’s allergies
• Leather, vinyl, metal and wood furnishings are suggested as they are easy to clean. These hard surfaces should be cleaned once a week with a damp cloth or an electrostatic cloth.
• Do not use heavy curtains around the home as they too can attract large colonies of dust mites. Roller blinds, shutters and washable curtains are good alternatives as they are easy to clean more frequently.
• Remove excess clutter that could attract extra dust, such as books and ornaments in glass cases. Also, children’s toys should also be always stored away in plastic containers
• Clean windows regularly and keep doors and windows closed during pollen season
• Wash and clean plates, glasses and cutlery daily
• Replace upholstered furniture with leather. Wood, metal or plastic offerings